Sunday, January 08, 2006

Australia: 90 meters up, why no safety harness?

this fatality was referenced by WorkSafeBC - Safety at Work Construction Information - Sun Jan 8, 2006 -- additional info was obtained by querrying Google News for "scaffolder"

Why no harness - By LARISSA CUMMINGS, Daily Telegraph, Australia
"I was a scaffolder myself and I've seen too many people killed," he said. "They were the only two sons I had and now half my family's dead.

"I didn't want to let them go into scaffolding, but Paul wanted to follow in my footsteps."

Mr Hughes said he was aware his son was not wearing a safety harness but said it was virtually impossible for a scaffolder to work while clipped to one.

"When a bloke is building scaffolding, he needs the freedom of his body to do that job," he said.
========
Mr Whitehead said Mr Hughes's death could prompt the industry to introduce intermediate decks for scaffolders, similar to those being used in Victoria.

"This will be the catalyst for a major shake-up of the building industry," he said.

---------------------------------------
Scaffolder's death prompts calls to scrap IR changes - ABC Regional Online, Australia
The construction union says such tragedies could happen more frequently because new legislation will give unions less access to inspect workplaces.

Mr Hughes' father, Frank, says he is devastated by the loss.

'Every man that comes to a job, his birth right is to come home from a job,' he said.

'I learned that a very, very long time ago because I've been in the building industry all my life and I learned that a long time ago if you go to work, you're entitled to come home.'

1 Comments:

At January 15, 2006 5:59 PM, Blogger d@ve said...

March of honour as scaffolder laid to rest - Sydney Morning Herald, Australia
Wrapped in an Irish flag, the coffin was topped with a hard hat emblazoned with the words 'union and proud' and a photograph of the construction worker.
===========

Father's anger at scaffolder's death - Sydney Morning Herald, Australia
"We have got to stop it because, unless we do, there will be a lot more workers killed and enough people already have died," Mr Hughes said.

"The union (movement) must be supported and I urge every worker to join the union and protect yourselves because it is the only protection you will have.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home